Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ducks in a Row


Can you believe that I actually took this photo with my iphone? Can you believe that I caught this little moment in nature? Love this picture. Notice: SIX little ducks...all in a row. My sweet friend, Lynn, and I were driving down a busy road a couple weeks ago, and there was a mama duck on the road by the island, trying to get all her little ducklings to follow her and to keep them from getting hurt. We stopped. Lynn helped get all those little ducklings to follow their mama on the other, safer side of the street. It's so natural. So instinctual. That mama knew every one of her babies and those babies knew their mama. When they were finally all reunited...we sighed. Everything was right again.
I feel that. Even though it is total chaos when we're all together, it's just not the same if one, two, or...say, FIVE are missing. Summertime--so much to do, so little time. I have a million field trips floating around in my little head, but reality sets in and a trip to the pool sounds just so delightful. Today, I was determined though to take the trip down to L.A. to IKEA for some needed (?) items. (btw, I don't know if it's nation-wide, but our IKEA is offering free children's lunches now until July 5th). None of my older children wanted to go with me, so the 5 of them went to play at a friend's house. Erika and I took the field trip. My my...does that girl have...spunk! We pretty much made a scene throughout our entire shopping experience. I was tossing "IKEA" cookies at her, trying to keep her from falling out of the cart and breaking all my items in the cart. I was exhausted. What the? Having all six together is just easier. Crazy, I know. It's like Yin-Yang. We just go together. Me and my little ducklings. (Adam is standing right behind me at the moment, wondering where he fits in in this picture. He's suggesting that he's the dots on the Yin-Yang...giving everything balance. I would agree. You're so clever dear).
And speaking of husband, after reading my last post, he said, "We've come a long way baby? Isn't that from a cigarette commercial? You know, 'You've come a long way baby'?" oops. I knew I had heard that jingle before. I just didn't know where?? Now I know. And so do you.
One more thing I have to write, so I don't forget it. Last week when my two older girls received trophies at school, my Kate was muy disappointed since she did not get an award. The next day, Annie and Savannah were whispering with Adam about what type of trophy they were going to get for Kate. I eavesdropped, "Let's get her a really big one, like that soccer trophy, that says 'Best Sister in the Whole World'." Payoff. They get it. I was so happy and touched. Thanks for letting me tell you that.
And now let's see...what field trip for tomorrow? Any ideas???
xoxoxo

4 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

your family is so precious, alexis! you and adam are sure raisin' them right...what sweet and kind kiddos! i know how proud you must be!

and thanks for your sweet comment to me...i sure do wish we lived closer together! :)

MelanieJ said...

I love you. What more do I need to say?

Rumsey's said...

There really is nothing like knowing your children love each other.

Great post - and it leaves hope for me, I thought having more children seemed way harder than just having a couple.

Ashley said...

You have an iphone now? So hight tech =) I know I don't always comment on your blog, but I love reading about all your family adventures! I just love your family!!!