Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Rager




I'm flying out to Texas in the morning. Dorothy passed away on Monday and it's okay. Actually, it's better than okay, it's good. Of course, she will be missed and thought of, and hopefully, through lots of stories, my children and my children's children will come to know and love this lady like I do. She's irresistible.

As I mentioned before, she loved flowers, plants, anything alive...animals (in fact, she was nicknamed "Dogorthy Cherdogsky"--yes, it's true)...you name it. So, my lovely sister, Adrienne, will be singing "Consider the Lilies" at her funeral. I've listened to the song all week. My kiddies keep saying, "Why are we listening to this? It's not even Sunday." I know my dears, but it's so beautiful and it reminds me of her.

So, in her honor, I had to post this first picture of the two of us in Italy. She took me there right before I was married. I love this picture...it speaks volumes. First of all, I'd like for you to notice the massive 5,000 lb. bag I'm carrying. This was her "purse." Frankly, I have no idea what she carried in there (a small person could have possibly fit), all I saw was hot pink/red lipstick, kleenex, and a nail file come out. I never did figure out what was so heavy. But, she carried her "purse" everywhere. Also, take a close look at that hat she's wearing. I have many beautiful pictures of our trip to Italy, but I had to have this one on here. We were in Pompeii and it was so bright and hot that she insisted on getting some shade. The only thing she could find was an Italian vendor selling baseball caps with sports cars on the fronts. So she wouldn't miss too much of the tour (so like her), she quickly grabbed the red one to match her outfit...never mind that it had a hot red Ferrari on the front. I couldn't stop laughing. Even to this day, it makes me laugh.

The second picture is of Papa and Dorothy with Annie when we lived in Santa Barbara...very sweet and very like them.

In hearing me describe Dorothy, our dear friend Adam B. replied, "The party that awaits her on the other side...I bet it's a rager." Yes, a rager indeed.




9 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I am so grateful for this gospel that we have, a gospel that affords us joy and comfort when we lose someone that we just love so much. What a wonderful woman, enjoy being with your family and celebrating your darling Grandma.

cherie said...

what wonderful memories, alexis!! i'm glad you had that time to spend with her recently. and yes, i bet the party is on!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

ah lex, i'm so sorry to hear that dorothy has passed away. how wonderful that you had that recent, and especially meaningful last visit with her. I think I would love this woman! The hot pink/red lipstick and the hat had me giggling at my desk!! What a fun spirit she had!!

Your family is so lucky to have YOU Alexis!

DaveandTeneal said...

thanks for posting those beautiful pics! We love you and your family soo very much!

The Leonard Four said...

i'm so sorry, lexie! your grandmother sounds like a remarkable woman who touched everyone she met! i'm sure that she will be missed! it's so nice that you and your fam were able to spend some time with her just recently...wonderful memories for sure.

love you friend...i'm thinking about you!

Buzz said...

Congratulations to Dorothy. Oh man... I think I can hear her party through the veil.

How exciting for her and for you someday when you are reunited. Tell you what... I'll bring my MC Hammer tape, you get the parachute pants, and we'll all meet up with her when all is said and done.

I am making my reservation now and I hope Grandma Dorothy is willing to add Yo Yo Buzz to her dance card.

Say hello to your mother and father for me and enjoy hearing everyone talk about how amazing your Dogorthy was.

Love you guys tons!

Andrea said...

She sounds like an inspiring woman! Enjoy being with your family.

April said...

Love you!

And the sweet picture from Italy!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

Thanks for keeping Dorothy's story alive. What a girl!
Sure love you. It was so much fun to see all of our children be so happy together. My huge thanks to Adam, Hubble, and Natalie for "covering" while ya'll came.
Love,
Mom