Sunday, November 8, 2009

Peace like a River




The Christmas music came out today. I know it's only November, but I just couldn't help myself. Lately, I've been thinking about relationships, about peace, about sincere, unwavering love...and who sets the perfect example of how to have them all. Jesus Christ. I had a "moment" last week where I realized that I don't think nearly enough of Him, I don't talk nearly enough of Him, and especially after I was about to majorly discipline my children in not such a nice way (I was way past jumping jacks), I don't live enough like Him.

However, somehow, some way, He always takes me back. Somehow, some way He still "reaches my reaching." I continue to stand amazed at the way I feel His peace, His consistent, unwavering, satisfying, consuming love. I'm amazed how He lifts the weight and burdens I feel, so that it's just not so heavy anymore. And I am happy. He is worth being in my every thought and action.

Last weekend, after spending such a beautiful and special time with my family, I once again had to board an airplane. I grew up flying (my dad was a pilot); however, lately I'm not as good at judging how much time I'll need...passing through security almost sends me right over the edge. So, at 5 a.m. I thought I had plenty of time to make my 6 a.m. flight. I stood in line at the ticket counter...5:10, 5:15, 5:20...the line wasn't moving. My blood pressure started spiking. The man in front of me said I could go in front of him. Then, there was this big group of older men who all looked like a different version of Willy Nelson. Since they would be boarding a later flight, I asked if I could go in front of them. They just simply ignored me, continuing their raccous conversation. The man that had let me go in front of him muttered under his breath, "That's not right." I just resigned myself to missing my flight and thereby missing my other 2 connecting flights. Then, this man behind me embodied the bumper sticker "Practice random acts of kindness." He turned to this group and said kindly, "Good morning. this young lady is in a pickle and is trying to make her flight. We've all been in this situation before. Do you think she could go in front of you, so she can make her flight?" They all said, sheepishly, "Sure, sure, no problem." I cried. I was overwhelmed by this stranger's kindness. Instead of turning away, he helped me. I made a solid mental note to be just like him to someone else...especially when it isn't convenient.

Thank you for hearing my thoughts. I hope I can remember these things. I know as I think more of Him, I can be more like Him...just like this kind man in the Houston airport.

On a lighter note, Erika turned ONE a week and a half ago! She is such a delight! We finally celebrated tonight with steak and potatoes (it wasn't quite her pick) and cupcakes. The older girls numbered her different milestones and announced that she has traveled to Utah 3 times, Texas twice, Arizona, and Hawaii. We laughed...all she cared about was the chocolate frosted cupcakes in her fist.

And life marches on. All is well.




7 comments:

cherie said...

your thoughts are always so inspiring to me, alexis. i'm am teary eyed this morning just reading this and thinking of the kindness of people and how grateful i am for it. and how i want to more Christlike. so thank you! thank you for making my day...nay week!! love you!

April said...

This reminded me of your story of kindness about the woman in the post office so many years ago. I think of her every year and tell that story over and over again.

Loved your thoughts and echo them in my own heart.

Unknown said...

Alexis if you need to try harder to be like Christ, then I am no where near the mark. You are amazing!!! You are more Christlike than any one I know. If you try any harder, Adam will miss you cause you'll be translated!! The story about the guy at the airport made me cry. That is wonderful. There are still good people out there YAY!!!

The Leonard Four said...

what a kind man, lex! i love people who think of others! i have no doubt that you will return the favor 10-fold!

HOW is you BABY already ONE??? wow! i bet she was lovin' those cupcakes!

miss you friend...

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

I love your thoughts, Sunshine.
Love,
Mom

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, I needed this reminder tonight. I'm feeling so overwhelmed by life right now and this was perfect! You have always radiated "light" and joy and happiness! Thank you for sharing your sweet thoughts and testimony. And I do believe in random acts of kindness...I need to better at GIVING them then always RECEIVING them!

Rumsey's said...

Seriously, something about Texas makes people just a little bit nicer :)

I think you're right about trying a little harder to be kinder to strangers. It is really easy to get in "the zone" here in California when so many people around here don't bother to smile at you or say thank you.

The other day I was in the grocery store and a man behind me in line started helping me unload my groceries onto the belt, I said "Thank you so much!" His response was "It's no problem. It's not every day you meet a gracious individual." That sent my head spinning - this man was probably used to the whole "I'm too cool to look at you, or smile, or say thank you" attitude.

It's crazy how when someone does something nice for you, it makes you want to do something nice for someone else...

Great post.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY ERIKA!!!

Love,
Natalie