Tuesday, November 18, 2008

baby steps, baby steps...





Whew! I'm sitting in this chair, my children are sleeping (minus the tiny, sweet one in my lap), and I don't even know what happened today...it's all a blur (a fast one). I keep muttering to myself, "Baby steps, baby steps..." Much like Bill Murray in the movie What About Bob, shuffling down a crammed sidewalk, bustling with people, muttering to himself "Baby steps, baby steps..." But, as I vaguely remember from the movie, he was a little "coo-coo-crispies"--if you know what I mean, and I...well, no comment.

Last week, after Adam's mom went home and Adam went back to work, I was ready to fly solo(or so I thought). However, after the children all had veteran's day off, the laundry piled up in record speed, the house looked like all six children had been home, and I contracted mastitis (a breast infection-boohoo). I called my mom out in Salt Lake Wednesday morning, to see if there was any possibility of her coming out to help me. I didn't care for how long, I would take anything. Being the mother that she is, she received permission from her mission president to come out a day early (she was already planning to come for the weekend) and was in my home that night. Looking back, I don't think she was anything less than a miracle...a tender mercy. She was just the one I needed...I think I even detected a halo over her head. As always, she picked me up, wiped me off, kissed my ouchie and sent me back on my way--all better. Thank heaven for moms. That's how I want to be when I grow up. So, we are back on track, and doing good again.

Annie had her pizza party for soccer. Everyone had a good time. After leaving Rusty's Pizza Place, we were debating opening a pizza place of our own after seeing the masses of people at 11:00 a.m., eating pizza and celebrating their soccer season. Wow! One of the moms brought heavily iced cupcakes for everyone. I spotted Kate in the corner, wiping all the frosting off her cupcake. "You didn't like the frosting Kate?" Kate, "No. It tastes like dead jello." I replied (trying to hold back the laughter), "Dead jello? I've never tasted that." Kate, "Well then, Play-doh. yuck!"

Joseph is taking his role as big brother quite seriously. If we don't watch close enough, Joseph can be seen trotting around the house with Erika in his arms, her head flopping around, like he's holding one of Kate's dolls. Aaaah! He wants a chance to soothe her, but instead of tickling her or singing to her, he just puts his hand over her mouth. Oh boy! We've got some work to do around here, training our future fathers, but for now--baby steps, baby steps, baby steps...

6 comments:

TM CLAN said...

Oh, Alexis. You are such a beautiful, sweet mother and wonderful inspiration to me. Your words about your mother are so genuine and make me miss my angel mom. My prayers and love to you.

April said...

You know, last Monday (when I knew Adam would be headed back to work) I thought of you and thought how overwhelmed you must be feeling. Oh, I should have acted on that prompting. Sent you a casserole FedEx or something.

For the record, I think you are AMAZING. The laundry alone, whew! And when you're feeling really out of sorts, I think you should sit right down in the middle of all the dishes and all the laundry and watch "What about Bob" and have a good laugh.

I sure love you. If I lived next door I would come clean your bathrooms this morning.

cherie said...

so so glad you had mom there to save the day! i only wish we could be closer. april will clean your bathrooms and i'll do your laundry. and then we'll eat heaps and heaps of dead jello! ;)
take care, my friend. these days will be such a small moment even though they seem like one continuous sleepless night! love you!

Watermelanie said...

Thanks for the belly laugh. All I can see in my mind's eye is a cute little linebacker "stifling" his little sister. HAHAHA! You are amazing. Thanks for reminding me that after all the owie's have been kissed, we have to keep going. And your kids will do fine without stellar schools. They are YOUR kids, after all.

Aimee said...

Goodness! Your mom hasn't aged a day in the last 15 years... seriously. I can't believe you've got SIX kids, too - WOW! My hat's off to you - I'm guessing you're Wonder Woman or something. ;)

As for me, I'm feeling pretty good these days... 2nd trimester is treating me very well. Just 16 weeks to go!

Berly said...

I LOVE MOMS and your Mom is one of my favorties!! And by the way, I think you are AWESOME!!