Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tender Mercies






This past Sunday night, I flew down to Houston (as a last minute plan) to see my 93 yr. old grandmother, Dorothy. She lives in an assisted living facility and has been there for almost six years now, since my Papa passed away. We have never called her Grandma, Nanna, Granny...just "Dorothy." It just suits her. She (and Papa) have always had a special place in all her grandchildren's hearts. All growing up, it was just "Papa & Dorothy" like salt & pepper. So, having the supportive husband that I do, I was able to spend two full days with her. Along with my wonderful sister-in-law Natalie and sweet nephew, Ethan, Erika and I spent our days just chatting with Dorothy and being near her. We packaged nuts to give out to the people who work there and decorated her apartment for Christmas, while she rocked and sang to the babies. Heaven was very near. She hss absolutely no short-term memory. In fact, my sister Lauren called while we were there on Monday. It was Lauren's birthday. I handed the phone over to Dorothy and said, "Dorothy, say 'hi' to Lauren...it's her birthday!" She took the phone and cheerfully said, "Hey! I hear it's my birthday!" We laughed. She has a great sense of humor. This was definitely a tender mercy that the Lord so kindly bestowed on me. At the end of our visit, Dorothy took my face in her hands and said, "I am so happy you came." I know that tomorrow she will not remember me even coming, but I will.

On a separate note, our family has been enjoying the Christmas season, I'm sure just like you. The girls were in the Oxnard Christmas parade with their school. They had a great time. They even talked Adam into dressing up in his tux to walk with their group as one of the hot chocolate servers from the Polar Express. He is always such a good sport.

The other picture was taken right before we walked around the neighborhood, looking at lights. We do that often...it's so much fun! Hope you all are having a wonderful, enjoyable Christmas season. Love to you all.

8 comments:

MelanieJ said...

posted at 3:37 am????!!!!! Yikes, you are one dedicated blogger, my friend. Thanks for a little "alexis-fix." I could just hear you telling me all about this over the phone. Just think, in a couple weeks, you can tell me all about it IN PERSON!!

TM CLAN said...

Your posts are so wonderful to read, and they seem reminiscent to a world I love and want to go home to. Oh, and btw, I remember your wonderful crescent rolls you used to make and wondered if you would share your recipe. When you find the time (and hopefully before Christmas) you can email me at melissaacurtis@gmail.com Love yoU!

Berly said...

I love Dorothy. It was fun for me to see the pictures of her and what a great time for you. There are definately treasured times.

Suzie Petunia said...

What a sweet memory you will always have of Dorothy. I remember meeting her once and feeling that she was a very sweet and special lady. How wonderful you were able to take the time to go visit.

The Leonard Four said...

hi lexie!!!!! i just got your holiday card and am thrilled to hear from you! your family is completly precious! congratulations on the new beautiful addition! :)

so glad that you guys have a blog! i'll be "stalking" you on a regular basis now! i'm so happy that i get to keep up with your sweet family! we have one too and i update it often. paige also has one if you want to check on them - the link is shown on my blog (the rodriguez fam).

i hope that all is well with you guys! i think about you all the time and wish that we kept in touch better! enjoy the holidays! :)

love you bunches,
jodi

Angi said...

Alexis-Hello! Wow-I'm so excited to see your adorable family. I see you are happily and busily working on the eight kids you once told me you wanted :) You and Adam are an awesome pair-and what a cute clan! We have a blog, too. We definitely can keep in touch through them. Have a Merry Christmas. :) Sending lots of hugs and love-

Angi said...

P.S. oops, I forgot to give you our blog address. It's
www.kckiddos.blogspot.com

DaveandTeneal said...

Alexis!! Thanks for the Christmas card and for posting that pic of Dorothy!, it really made me so happy to see her beautiful, youthful face, just as gorgeous and vibrant as ever, give her my love! Congrats on your sweet baby and give my love to your family! Love you!!