Thursday, January 22, 2009

The day is done...(sigh)

Some days I would love to play a real stirring rendition of "taps" to close the day in triumph. Yes, the day is done...and we made it. Today was a very good day, just a full and busy (and noisy) day. I'm always astounded at how much volume six little people can produce...it's amazing really. Even though the house is silent now (Adam is giving the finishing touches of tucking in our little darlings), my ears are still ringing from all the chatter and chaos of the day...wow.

And, I lost my camera. What's new...rats! I need at least five brightly colored lanyards to string around my neck, to dangle the things that I'm always losing...my keys, my cell phone, my camera, my checkbook, etc. Well, I should gather a little confidence in knowing that I haven't lost any children (at least, not this week).

So, I don't have pictures of the lovely evening we spent on Friday, with Adam's fabulous Aunt Shauna and Uncle Tom, visiting from Idaho. After they drove away, Annie muttered, "I miss them already." Or pictures of the wonderful weekend we shared with our dear friends, the Masks, visiting from Arizona...playing at the park on the beach, while watching the beautiful sunset...mmm. Or watching our new President inaugurated and crying at the breathtaking music performed. I have to say, google "Air and Simple Gifts Inauguration 2009" (I, of course, would love to provide you with that link, but again, I am not that techno-saavy--yet) and you will be enamored as I was. I have always been a fan of Yo-Yo Ma and John Williams, but this was...incredible. All I could visualize was our forebearers, dedicated to God, to their families, and to building up this great nation of ours. (And, I would be amiss if I didn't mention Aretha Franklin. If I could have any singing voice, I would want hers...or Ella Fitzgerald...it's a toss up). Watching all those happy Americans gathering to support our new president...well, my heart did swell with pride. Although, Joseph looked over at me part-way through the ceremony and said, "I don't like this show."

So, it's been a great week. I have a lot to be grateful for and right now, it's that I made it through this day...happy and healthy and married to the man of my dreams.

3 comments:

MelanieJ said...

I love you so much. What else can I say? Thank you! You are my bosom-est friend ever! (and I'm not just sayin' that cuz you're nursin', missy!)

Unknown said...

Man you were right... I missed this on Tuesday so thank goodness for Google.

I think I'm going to change my name to Yo-Yo Buzz.

P.S. You have a gift of being able to inject humor into your writing. Every time I read one of your posts, I get ready to laugh hard. It's usually something that Joseph said now that I think of it. He's a regular Jerry Lewis.

Kents said...

My inaugural experience was almost exactly the same as yours. I was watching it with 2 little 3 year olds who got tired of it real quick, but I was able to hear the music by John Williams which was so inspiring (I have a piano student this week who started learning, A Gift to be simple, and I wanted to show her the song, so thank you)as well as the ceremony and Pres. Obama's speech. Then it was time for Aladdin. :-) I found myself wondering what was it that made me get emotional during the inauguration. I think it is the gratitude to live in a marvelous country where we get to choose our president. We have countless TALENTED people who are able to bless others lives through music, leadership, and MANY other things without being suppressed or impoverished. I found myself praying for this new president, that he will have the help needed to keep our country safe and free and successful.