Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Special Place



I've never understood why my husband loves hospitals so much. This weekend I finally understood.

Erika was admitted to the hospital Friday afternoon after being diagnosed with pneumonia, RSV, and bronchialitis...oh, my baby. I'm always a nervous wreck when there is anything wrong with my little chicks...it's the mother bear in me shining through. In no time at all, she was hooked up to an IV and some other monitor that always sounded off--especially in the middle of the night. I was in awe at how loving and encouraging, tender and caring each one of the nurses were...well, all the staff really. Eventhough she was very sick (we came home today and she is a new girl), I could feel a special peace there. I guess you always feel that as people are helping other people.

So, after visiting hospitals on dates, etc. I can see why Adam loves being in hospitals so much...there are people helping others...and that makes anyone happy. And, we had a nurse, Howard, that was the spitting image of Bob Marley. That cheered me up too.

Thank you for your prayers. We could feel them all the way over here. And, they are working.

(p.s. I found my camera)

5 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

oh lex...i hope that your sweet girl is doing better! please keep us informed and i will be praying for you guys. i can't think of anything worse than having a sick kiddo! love you...

April said...

When I saw the photo I thought, oh no, oh no, oh no no no! So glad she is doing better. I will tell the girls and they will be praying over here as well.

We have been on many a date to the hospital/or various hospitals in our lives too...we once spent our anniversary dinner in the cafeteria of the Huntsman Cancer Center in SLC...only another hospital admin's wife could appreciate that. David was just gaga to see the place.

We're thinking of you. Take care, mama. (and babe)

The Rodriguez Crew said...

alexis! i'm so sad to hear that your sweet little girl had to go through that, but so relieved that she's home and doing so well! my heart sank when i saw the dreaded letters, RSV. I just knew that Jagger had it (which turned out to be croup), and it is terribly scary!

Prayers your way!!

MelanieJ said...

I couldn't believe how cute little Erika looked in that first pic--thanks for sharing her spirit with us even at a very difficult time. I thought she looked like one of my babies for a second. I guess I just spend a lot of my time hoping that our families will be linked someday...I love you, my friend. Our prayers are with you. And your optimism reminds me of Sister Hinckley--you are amazing, you know that?

Maritime Girl said...

Glad she is better Alexis. She was in our prayers.

Love Shauna and Tom