Monday, February 2, 2009

And I'm feeling...good








Ahhh...Erika is doing so good. It's a miracle really. I took her into the dr's this week and he gave her a clean bill of health; however, I'm still pretty careful not to go into any major germ-infested places which happens to be merely impossible...seeing that our home is one of them. I've tried to have a strict code of hand-washing around here. We'll see how long it lasts. Savannah lamented, "I'm getting a little sick of washing my hands so much." Sorry sweets.

We had a great weekend! Adam was actually gone for most of it, but the kids and I had fun with a movie night and a full day at the Santa Barbara Zoo on Saturday. I just love that place. I have a million memories there. I hadn't realized how much Adam has been gone until I was reviewing a picture of our family with Austin, asking him to point out the different members, "Austin, who's that?" "Kates" "Who's that?" "Mom" "Who's that?" "Daddygo" (all one word) hmmm. I got a good laugh...Adam wasn't nearly as amused.

Joseph has been picking up some new phrase-ology lately that leaves me...speechless. "Joseph, are you ready for breakfast?" "Yea baby" Joseph, "I need some ketchup baby." I try to correct with, "Buddy, I'm Mom." ... it's a little tricky trying to keep a straight face. He's too cute for his own good...

I had the privilege of hearing Sister Julie Beck (General Relief Society President) speak this past weekend at our church stake center in Camarillo. She was nothing less than amazing...a fountain of incredible wisdom and insight. After her comments, she opened it up for questions. Something that stuck with me (among many things) was that she spoke about a mother's many shifts--the night shift, morning, day, afternoon-evening or the "swing shift." A mother works all the shifts; however, the most important and impacting shift is the afternoon-evening "swing shift." This is when our kids get home from school, they are hungry physically, spiritually and emotionally. She said, "Don't become so busy during the day that you are wiped out during the most important shift of the day." Isn't that interesting? Usually that is the craziest time of the day in our home. I need to make preparations, so that it won't be so anymore. So that I can FEED my children. I took tons of notes, so if you are interested, I would be happy to send them your way. I am always looking for good advice...I need all the help I can get!

Have a super week! I hope our week isn't foreshadowed by the crazy morning we had today. Adam finally said, "Please, let's keep the weeping, wailing, and nashing of teeth in outer darkness." I can only agree. I think it will be different because I'm sitting here watching Austin play and he is just so irresistible...

8 comments:

Berly said...

I just saw your last blog. AHHHHH!! SCARY!! I am glad she is doing better. Also, love the "swing shift." Just the other day, i told Warren when he came home from work and things were crazy, i said ."This is the worst part of my day. Things fall apart and things are CRAZY." He commented back "This is my favorite." I really needed that and also your comment. Thanks.

Andrea said...

HI Alexis!!!! This is Andrea (Muhlestein) Barney your old BYU friend! I found your blog when I was looking for some of the girls from the dorm. I'm so glad that your little one is doing better. That can be scary! Your kids are just darling.! Reading your blog made me feel like old times! You definitely helped my day get much better! We are actually not too far from you guys down here in Whittier. It's funny because we go up to oxnard and stay at the Embassy suites there. We were just there for the strawberry festival! We will have to visit one of these times.

email me and I'll send you an invite to my blog.
andrea.e.barney@hotmail.com

Andrea said...

oh, I forget
How is Davis? He was a good roomate to Pat.

I was telling Pat that my favorite memory of you and Adam was at King Henry and your phone bills were getting too high so when you were thinking of each other you would call and just let it ring once.....
The funny part was that it never worked you would just call the other person back... he, he, he
I'm so glad that you guys are doing well. That is what really makes my day.

The Leonard Four said...

hi lex! so glad to hear that your littlest mama is feeling better! YEA BABY! :) {that's been carly's phrase of choice lately, too!}

i love the part of this post about the "swing shift". i always refer to it as the "witching hour". i need to change my thinking about that...thanks for sharing! now, i'll think of you every afternoon! :)

have i mentioned how completely precious your family is? xo...

TM CLAN said...

Hmmm. Yes, I agree that shift is the toughest one and most important. Thanks for the reminder. I'd love notes if and when you are up to it. Love you!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

Alexis! Thank you for this reminder about the "swing shift!" It's so true, and an easy one to bypass due to all of the things we're rushing to do for dinner, and even the next day! And whew, I'm so happy to hear that your little girly is all better! Yay!!! :)

April said...

Your comments about the "swing shift" have already changed my life for the better. And helped me make a few decisions I've been struggling with. Thank you, faithful friend! And please, please, please send me your notes. I am so happy to be friends with such a GOOD woman.

Rumsey's said...

Hi Lalex,
Nat and I really enjoy reading your blog. . . thanks for always updating the pictures and stories. It's good to see how everyone is doing. Thanks.