Sunday, April 19, 2009

collapse

This is going to be a quickie...

It's Sunday night. My dishes are still dirty in the sink. There may even be food left on the counter. I know this sounds gross, but I'm so bone tired, I can't even muster up enough energy to peel myself out of this chair. I can hear Joseph upstairs prattling away...he got a nap this afternoon. Sundays are just like this right now in this season of my life. I know I'll probably look back at this season, sigh and smile, but right now it seems to go at such a warp speed and intensity, that at the end of my day (and especially Sundays), when my head hits that pillow, I am not thinking a single thing...probably not even dreaming. wow.

For a week/weekend rundown...

Finishing up a internet drivers-ed class...my lead foot gave me away.

Conducting an experiment on my family after too many antibiotics and sick days. Decided to grab this bull by the horns and take my family off of sugar, white flour, and dairy. Happy to report that we have no more runny noses and coughs. I'll keep you posted on further developments...

Dog-sat our neighbor's dog, Tasha, for the week. No extra work, except for the extra set of muddy dog tracks left on the tile...I ended up just ignoring the trail by the end of the week. Adds character and charm...right?

The laundry door is still shut. We'll see what awaits me in the morning.

In the middle of re-landscaping our yard. Just putting some plans together. Need to read up a lot more.

Still love Sesame Street. I mean, how could you not?!...watching Ben Stiller dressed up as a hunk of cheese and listening to my three year old point to a triangle-shaped object in the house and saying, "Look Mom! There's the Golden Triangle of Destiny!" (said with feeling). Love it.

Our dear friends, the Basuas, came into town this weekend. Spent Friday night with them, chatting and laughing. Love them.

Have been trying out a new parenting technique. When I can feel myself about to "blow my top" --I'll just break into jumping jacks-- to relieve the stress and tension in my shoulders. I admit, I look a little ridiculous doing jumping jacks outside by the trash cans, by the kitchen sink, in the upstairs hallway, in my bathroom...However, it's a lot better than the alternative. Trust me. In fact, my kids have no idea why I do it. They think it's so hilarious that they usually end up laughing and joining me. I keep jumping until I can feel that I have calmed down sufficiently. It's working. Maybe I'll lose a couple of lbs. to boot!

Well, I'm headed off to bed. Sweet dreams all of you!

9 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

first of all...I LOVE YOU! you just completely brought a smile to my face on this monday morning!

and second of all...i'm exhausted just reading about your crazy week! i hope that you take a second to yourself - even if it's brief - you deserve it!

and finally...i'm in love with the new parenting technique! i love that you came up with it and are implementing it! all of us could use a distraction when we're about to "blow"! i do believe that i'll give it a shot! :)

love you friend! hope that this week is a little slower for you! xo

TM CLAN said...

Thank you for the parenting tip. I have great moments when I can reign it all in before the fireworks by a deep breath, a rational thought, but lately....well anyway I'm going to start jumping jacks too.

You were an answer to a prayer. And I just barely sent that request out. Great response time. Love yoU!

April said...

I felt the same way last night...just left everything in the sink. Regretting it now, though. Laundry is ridiculous too.

I'm off to do some jumping jacks.

The Rodriguez Crew said...

ALEXIS. I just laughed so hard I have tears in my eyes that you said, I'm trying a new parenting technique ... then bust out with JUMPING JACKS! I am visualizing your neighbors spotting you out by the trashcan thinking yep, 6 kids finally sent her to the looney bin. I LOVE IT!! I think it's a grand idea, and I'm sure I'll be trying it now too!! :)

AND, I'm super interested to know more about your food experiment, so be sure to post more as you learn about it. We're fighting the neverending runny nose and cough (for a month straight!), and I'm SO.TIRED.OF.IT.

You take care of yourself, and try to sneak in a little me-time every once in awhile ... don't you wonder how the "Duggar's" do it? I just caught that show yesterday for the first time (with 18 kids?!), and had to sit in awe for a few minutes!!

Have a great week, and keep up that great smile!!! :)

Andrea said...

I am picturing the look on your kids face as you break into jumping jacks! I should try it! Sunday's are tough that is for sure. My dishes were still in the sink too. Have a good week~

MelanieJ said...

I should have been doing jumping jacks all day yesterday! Yikes! I love you

cjaster said...

I was just wondering what to do when I felt the house coming down--jumping jacks sound like a new alternative medicine. I think I'll try it. And you are insanely busy. I read once to take one day off a week & give yourself some room to relax. I like to think of it as movie day with the kids. You are amazing!

Natalie said...

Alexis, hey, I got your link from Lauren's blog, who's link I got from Emily Scharman's blog...I'm stalking you! Can I just tell you that I love you?! You are so fun, and so wonderful, and you have always been someone that I wanted to be like when I grew up...still do! So fun to see your cute family.

The jumping jacks will be firmly established as the new normal...tomorrow! I was cracking up. Matt says hello too.

If you want, send an email to nhellis@hotmail and I'll send you a link to our blog. :) You can read it in all your spare time. ;)

Unknown said...

So... first you have Jerry Lewis in the house and now it's Richard Simmons?

Who's next? Oh wait... I know, and he's already there. Your husband... Superman.

We loved seeing you. I've just realized that one of my favorite Oxnard sites is when Adam falls asleep because we've kept you guys up too late. Sorry, we can't help it, we just love being around you so much.

Here's to our next late night!

~Yo Yo Buzz

P.S. Tell Joseph I'm waiting for him to come over so we can fly my remote control helicopter