Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring, Spring, Spring!








I love this time of year. It's actually my favorite. There's a feeling in the air of newness, of re-growth, of new birth, of exquisite beauty. Wonderful, really, that we celebrate the Savior's resurrection on Easter, at this time of year...symbolic. Gives me some beautiful food-for-thought.

Anyways, every member of my family is sleeping...and for good reason. We just returned home from a major whirlwind trip to Utah. It was such a whirlwind, that I didn't take a single picture. Not a one. We began our trip last Friday with one child who had a fearsome barking cough, and came home today with five little people, barking the same lovely cough. UGH! Oh well, I guess those things just happen. We went to take Savannah to General Conference, since of course she just turned 8; however, she happened to be the original sick one. So, Annie, Adam, and I went, with his cousin and my parents. It turned out to be a good weekend, regardless. I spent time with my sister, Adrienne (who is leaving for Nepal, yes, the country, in 3 short weeks), my parents and Ford, Adam's parents, his cousin and her son, his sister Kerstin and niece. Quite productive. And on the way home, we spent a night with his brother, Peter, and his family in Las Vegas. If ever you want to laugh your cares away, go and see Peter and Tammy. He will have you laughing so hard your sides will hurt...it happens to me every time.

On the way home, my husband did something that reminded me how much I really am in love with him. He was planning on returning to work tomorrow, Thursday, but knew I needed just one more day with him to truly relax and regroup. So, without even my prompting, he called his secretary, asked how his schedule looked for Thursday, and then just told her he wouldn't be coming in. I stared at him, half-gaping, half-smiling, and quietly said, "Thank you."

And, as if that wasn't enough, he took me to go see the daffodils on the way home this afternoon in Lake Arrowhead. I have a story that goes along with these beauties, and have wanted to go see them for years (I'll send it to you if you want it). I finally got to today. It made me happy. And, it was snowing. In California. As we were driving up, up, up in the mountains, Adam commented under his breath, "Wow, I feel like we're going to the top of the Tower of Babel." One of the kids perked up and said, "The Tower of Maple?! What in the world is that?" Um, looks like we need a refresher course on Scripture Stories 101.

Also, last last weekend we went down to Newport Beach to attend Adam's cousins (Casi) wedding. The day was beautiful, the bride was beautiful, the temple ceremony was beautiful and that 10 layer chocolate cake was beautiful. We loved every minute of it.

7 comments:

Berly said...

I am finally catching up on blogs and I had no idea about your little one. I am glad she is doing better. And, I also love Spring although Colorado doesn't really have a spring. It is more like winter/summer - kind of strange and it last about 2 weeks. OH WELL!!

cherie said...

love your posts, alexis! they always make me smile. beautiful pictures. so sad we missed you in utah too. i'd love to hear your daffodil story! :)

The Leonard Four said...

i heart you lexie! another perfect post...i felt like i was each and every place with you guys!

can i just say that i love reading what you write because i can "hear" you. makes me miss you tons!!!

glad that you are all enjoying spring so far!!! :) xoxoxo...

Andrea said...

You guys have so many adventures! I get so frustrated that my kids seem to have a constant cold and then just pass it around. Spring is so wonderful especially when hopefully the kids won't get sick for a few months!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

thank you alexis for the sweet comment - you are a doll!! i too LOVE reading about your precious family, and am in awe of your gorgeous kiddos. and you are the best mama, and pretty as ever! Enjoy that beautiful weather you're having, and I'm always looking forward to your next post!! :)

KAREN! said...

ooh i want to hear the daffodil story!

Natalie and Clark Rumsey said...

Hello Alexis and Adam, Love your blogs. We're here in Panama right now and we're getting ready to go down to Nat's parents' place. Anyways, love ya'll! Hope all is well!