Sunday, June 7, 2009

Once Upon A Time...part 6






This part of our story is kind of the pits. He was in Minnesota, I was in Utah...there were hundreds of miles between the two of us. And so, life just keeps going. Thankfully, both of us had wonderful roommates and friends during this period, to keep the time ticking (except sometimes time passed a little too slow for our liking). Classes, work, studies, classes, work, studies, church, a little late-night fun, classes, work, studies... My friend, Andrea, reminded me how Adam and I would contact one another--I had forgotten. If we were thinking of the other during the day (phone rates were much too high during the day to call and chit-chat--remember that??), we would call, let it ring twice and then hang up. If my roomie picked up the ringing phone and heard a dial-tone, they would call out, "Hey Alexis! That was Adam!" They were awesome. I would then return him with a double ring to let him know I 'got it' and that I was feeling the same (text-messaging has revolutionized our primitive ways!).

But, I am a very lucky girl. My dad was a pilot for Delta Airlines and so, yes, you guessed it! Every few months or so, I would fly out and spend the weekend with Adam. It was bliss. When I would fly over Minneapolis (almost always on a Friday night), I could see all the lights surrounding those beautiful lakes and would start feeling butterflies. He would always meet me right there at the gate. We would hug and kiss in the terminal (nothing embarrassing) and then hold hands and talk in the Silverado (his silver Chevrolet Celebrity he so lovingly named) on the way to the Sheets'. Now, Jim and Andrea Sheets were MAJOR lifesavers and are dear friends to this day. They let me stay at their safe, chaperoned apartment; although, Jim still teases us about making out on their front sofa...ahem...I'll keep this G-rated. Sunday morning I would start feeling sad and lonely, even though I would usually leave that evening. This happened each time.

I was asked about our first kiss and I can't remember it (shocking, I know). It's not that it wasn't special, but everything moved at such a warp-speed at the beginning that it's all a bit of a blur. However, I will tell you how we got engaged.

So the Fall semester came and was just about over. Each time I'd visit Adam, I would hope that he would propose, but alas...no luck! I started getting a bit perturbed which he thought was rather amusing. "I'm not going to propose when you're expecting it." "Well, why not?!" (I'm learning the virtue of patience to this very day). The Christmas vacation would be here in only a week, right after finals. I would see Adam for a couple of days during the vacation, but didn't know when since he was still in MN (or so I thought). That sneaky boy. Minnesota finished a week before us (without me knowing), and Adam flew in and arranged an entire romantic evening. He sat in my brother's apt., waiting to surprise me at any moment, but I never came. I was sleep deprived and hunched over in a library carrell (sp?) writing my last final paper. I finished typing the paper at his cousin's apt.--where he finally tracked me down. When he walked in the door holding a dozen beautiful roses, I about passed out. He was the greatest, most-welcomed sight my dark-circled, bagged eyes had ever seen!

But, it was late by this time and our dinner reservation had fallen through. We decided to just eat at Arby's (which they closed as we were walking up), so McDonald's?! I inhaled a BigMac while Adam nibbled on his chicken nuggets (he said he wasn't feeling good--a common symptom of nerves, I suppose). We drove up the canyon to Sundance. It was snowy, cold, and beautiful. After persuading me to wear his coat (I already had on my coat), he knealt in front of me on the bridge and asked me to be his wife. I couldn't believe it, so I started giggling. He had surprised me! He said, "No, I'm serious." "I know. Yes. Of course, I would love to marry you." It was dark except for the bright moon light and it's reflection off the snow. We both felt so warm and happy and...complete.

Finally, we would be getting married. Saturday, June 8th to be exact. (And, if all goes well, I'll have one little more segment tomorrow).

Good night and wish you all sweet dreams! I know I will...

7 comments:

The Rodriguez Crew said...

you are so cute! i'm kind of sad that this is wrapping up, i've so enjoyed it. i loved your budget phonecall method (so smart!) in college, and I loved that you landed at MCDONALDS (poor Adam!) right before your engagement. So classic, and makes for a great story!!

You 2 are one handsome/pretty couple and your love totally shows in pictures. So precious!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

Joy! Joy! Joy! That's the feeling a mother has when her beautiful, virtuous daughter marries a valiant, handsome young man in the temple. What a joy it was on June 8 (13 years ago, right?) And our joy has only increased watching this family grow (by leaps and bounds! :) )

Melissa said...

I have loved reading your stroy. It is beautiful. You too are perfect together!! Love you lots!

I can't believe you didn't tell us about your parents blog!! I have loved checking it out!!

Amy Lynn said...

Happy Anniversary! This has been such a sweet story. I've loved reading it and celebrating all the happy moments. It is easy to feel what a perfectly perfect match you are for each other and easy to see what a beautiful life you've made together! Real cause to celebrate. May the day be wonderful...full of all the romance and lovey-dovey stuff you can fit in with 6 kids!!

Andrea said...

I love that you went to mc donalds on the night he proposed! Adam was probably stressing.... I hope he is reading all of this too! You tell it wo well. Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful evening!

cherie said...

love the mcdonald's memory too. ah, what a great story and proposal!

The Leonard Four said...

awwww...i'm a little sad too that we won't be getting a weekly installment of this fantastic love story!

i've never heard the engagement story before! precious...just like the two of you!

love you to bits!