Monday, June 22, 2009

The Men in our Lives




I love Father's Day (I love holidays). As a little girl, I remember trying to gather all my money (which was mostly change) and purchasing something my dad really could use, like tweezers, or in Lauren's case (my sister), yard darts (family joke). Since Father's Day was always in the summer, we would usually be on a family vacation and would bring our gifts and homemade cards with us to the Texas hill country. I love my Dad. He can fix anything...broken pipes, rooftops, bicycles--anything. His laugh is unmistakable and contagious. Wherever we would be, people could pick out where the Rumseys were sitting, they could spot/hear my Dad's laugh. I loved that. He was a pilot, so I loved seeing him in his sharp uniform coming through the backdoor and then trying on his pilot hat-so official. He is an Athlete (with a capital A), sometimes exercising several times a day (much to my mom's chagrin). But, us kids were always proud of that. He competed in the Hawaii Ironman, Deathrides, marathons, triathlons...and I loved cheering him on. He now is our biggest cheerleader, as we try to boost our exercise regime. When my sister finished her first marathon, my Dad was the first one she called. He was thrilled. When we would leave for school in thr mornings (when he wasn't on a trip), he would usually be in running shorts, sitting at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of oatmeal, and reading the paper. We'd give him a hug goodbye and he'd say, "Bye baby. Don't talk to cars and watch for strangers." It always made me laugh. Happy Father's Day Dad.

My husband is too good to be true. He is everything I ever wanted for my children. He loves playing with them, singing to them, holding them, laughing with them. I couldn't imagine parenting in this life without him. Happy Father's Day sweets.

Adam's father is wonderful. I love how each Dad's style is so unique and yet so fitting for their family. Grandpa T is so supportive and loving. He can spot a deal a mile away and can also fix anything. He can answer any question about the scriptures, I love that. He is one of my best customers at dinnertime, always so gracious, "Um, Alexis. This is some of the best corned beef I've ever had." Makes me feel good.

I love these men in my life. They are Fathers indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhqRMP9meMc

6 comments:

Buzz said...

Hear, hear... well said Alexis.

Adam, ahem Brother T... thanks for being a great example of a father to those of us that have much room for improvement.

We cannot wait to see you guys next month. Spanish Fark is awaiting... and we can enjoy the moment by hanging out and eating some smoked ribs... maybe some brisket too

Lauren said...

I always forget about the yard darts till someone else brings it up - usually Mom ("poor Lauren"). Must have blocked that one out of my memory... You remember some great things about Dad. I may just have to copy what you wrote in my blog so I will have a record of it. Loved it!

The Leonard Four said...

you are a lucky girl to be surrounded by such wonderful daddies! i hope that they all had a great day!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

Loved what you said about the men in your life-especially about "my man!" :) The picture of him fixing the bike is so typical but I think he would appreciate another view-not showing his baldspot! :) We've GOT to see that great smile! Thanks for all of the wonderful memories that you include on your blog. Love. Mom

bgross said...

This is so fun to read Lexi. Thanks for the updates on your fam. We miss you guys lots. Gigi talks about Annie, Savannah & Kate regularly! It's funny that she remembers them so well. Yesterday she had her first phone conversation with Tanner...FUNNY!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

alexis! you must have fallen off of my blog roll, b/c I am JUST now seeing 2 wonderful new posts! the memories of your own dad were so special and sweet (the cars and strangers sendoff made me smile - such a dad thing to say). you are one lucky lady to have 3 wonderful men in your life! I hope you had a wonderful day together (a month late). :)