Friday, June 19, 2009

Summertime...and the livin' is easy





School ended yesterday. And I cried. Why, oh why do children have to grow so quickly? The older they get, the faster the time flies. Okay. I promised myself that I wouldn't go down this path. It doesn't do any good.

So, eventhough my children just ended the fastest school year of their lives, it is now summertime. I love summertime. I get my children all to myself (is that selfish?). We can go anywhere, do anything. We can stay in our pjs until 10:30 a.m., lying on our floor in lazy fashion, quizzing each other on state capitals...and be perfectly happy. Summertime is the perfect solution for my time handicap (another weakness). Just last week, we had company for dinner. They asked, "What time?" I said, "Oh, 5-5:30." "Which one? 5 or 5:30?" "Well, whichever. I'll just be happy when you get here." (I know this makes my pilot, punctual Dad cringe to read this).

We had a final week of assemblies and programs. Savannah sang as a sloth (the animal?), Annie danced and sang wearing a poodle skirt, and Kate played the piano in front of the school like a pro. Whew.

The first day of summer was spent at the beach...all day. We're all tuckered out from too much fun. Can that even exist? Well, whatever it is, we're tired, but relaxed. I think tomorrow we should sit on the porch and sip lemonade. I can picture it now...mmm. Summertime...and the livin' is easy...(porgy & bess style, of course). I know this pace won't last for too long, but I'll enjoy it in the meantime.

Kisses.

3 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

ahhhhh summertime is perfection! i love all of these pics! your sweet family is gorgeous, lex!

like you, i'm still a little sad that another school year has come and gone, but i sure am glad that summer is here! glad that y'all are starting yours off with a bang! xo...

Amy Lynn said...

Bring on summer! And make it last all year long! Hope you have a fantastic, lazy, no stress summer...and please, please come play on July 13th (did I get that right?). We are completely open and would love to meet you at the park for frolicking and fun. I will try and email you my phone number. I'll bring the ice-cream cones!

Kents said...

I feel the same about summer. Love, love love summer. Love having my kids about me. Come August, I'm usually ready to have a routine back a little but LOVIN' every moment of it now. I can get together any time this week. I'll call you today. Happy Father's day to Adam!