Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Feast!









As the saying goes, "It's either feast or famine!" Well, I'm afraid around these parts, there is no such thing as a famine! Somehow we manage to completely fill our schedule to the very brim...which most of the time is a good thing (that is, until we all collapse from sleep deprivation!). Just last week I was mentioning to Adam, "You know, maybe we need to pick up a new hobby: painting, woodworking, basketweaving, etc. Maybe we need to rediscover a new dimension of ourselves, to be a little more interesting? What do you think?" Adam's response, "Alexis, I don't think I have another dimension to discover right now. Every dimension is already taken." He's right.

Just this past weekend, Adam and I went to the temple Friday night(which, of course, is always a treat! especially when you can go with your husband!)! Saturday was filled with soccer games (which I'm really getting into! I think I'm probably the most vocal spectator...it's a blast!). We had our dear friends, the Masks, come and visit us from Arizona (which we always absolutely love!). We celebrated little Dallin's 6th birthday! Sunday night, we attended a fireside at the stake center featuring Sister Mariama Kallon from Sierra Leone, Africa. Her story is written up in the Liahona, August 2007 edition. You can read it online. And, if I were more computer saavy, I would be able to supply you with the link...oh well. Her story is amazing. I brought my two oldest with me and it made an impression on them. They wanted to go meet her afterwards. After listening to her story, you will agree, we are so blessed. My problems really aren't worth mentioning. It's very stirring, so if you get a chance, read it! (by the way, I need to put in a plug for the Sept. issue of the Ensign. It's incredible! Maybe all the articles stood out to me because I needed them. Nevertheless, it's wonderful.) Monday, we went to Disneyland for Savannah's birthday. We always have a fantastic time together there! Whew!

I was telling Adam, "as long as I can just stop and smell the roses, this feast of a schedule isn't so crazy to me." Those moments with the roses happens to be having a great conversation with someone I love, playing peek-a-boo with Austin in the rear view window of the car, watching Joseph do sommersaults across the family room floor, playing Barbies with Kate (eventhough, I usually just need to sit there holding the dolls, and she supplies all the dialogue), listening to the plot of Savannah's latest read, giggling with Annie about something funny someone said, and romancing my husband. If I can manage to stop and smell these roses, then, "Bring on the FEAST!"

8 comments:

Camene said...

Alexis...you are amazing. What an incredible woman and wonderful example. We also have a Feast...but I somehow forget to stop and smell the roses. Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering when you have time to blog? I'm to exhausted to update mine...it's only been what 9 months. It sure is fun reading yours though!

cherie said...

thank you a million times for making our visit so fun. we love you all! cute, cute pictures too!

hope our next visit isn't too far off!

Berly said...

Very well put. I needed that at a time I feel all over the place. Also I love the playing Barbies comment. That is how I play Barbies. Kaylee talks enough for everyone. She is hilarious!!

Tiffany said...

Alexis, you are the best! You inspire me! I love reading your blog.

Heather and Aaron said...

Hey Alexis and Adam!

It's Aaron and Heather Haws! I just now noticed that Camene has your blog on a link from theirs! How Cool! Well, we're in Idaho now, and have been for a while, and I am going to be graduating in December with an MPH from Idaho State, and we're having our second girl in January! So, we're working on a Thesis, job hunting, and preparing for another baby! It sounds like you guys are doing great! We will look forward to reading your blog in the future!

http://www.idahohawsfamily.blogspot.com

DaveandTeneal said...

Alexis! I'm so glad you found us!!! I think it ...interesting that you and I are stil... connected in that I have been thinking a lot of you guys lately, wondering how my 'Spring' family is doing. How bad was the Ike damage, really? I've lost all my contact info on everyone since my computer crashed... ugh!

Kents said...

Alexis I found your blog through the Basua's! Yeay! Another way to keep in touch with your cute family. Our blog is kkjjkent.blogspot.com
I was at the fireside, too. Our FHE the next night consisted of Sister Mallon's story. That was a great idea to take your girls. I wish I had thought of that.
Talk to you soon,
Kirsten

Debi Lassen said...

Alexis, I just read through several posts of your blog...found it from Kirsten's.
I sure enjoy watching you and your family growing...in size and in age. How blessed you are! Watching you with so many little ones and your "feast" of a schedule reminds me of someone a few years back :-} Keep a'going....you and Adam are doing a great job! Congratulations to Savannah on her baptism...our youngest was baptized last August and it's amazing to think where the years are going so fast. I wouldn't trade all the tiredness and struggles with so many little ones for anything in the world. I'll check in on your blog now and then! Most of my kids have one and it's a fun way to keep in touch.
Love,
Debi