Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Life is just "peachy!"





It's canning season again! It always comes at the end of summer and has become a tradition for me and my kiddies. We have peaches and pears coming out our ears, and I absolutely love it! I love the smell in the kitchen, and even the mess in the sink; however, I must admit that I always have such grand ambitions of getting large quantities canned, but alas, we usually end up eating most of them before they even make it to the jars. That fruit is just oh, so delicious! Oh well!

Our little Savannah Joy turned eight last week! She'll be getting baptized this Saturday and is so excited. I'm amazed at how much they have learned up to this point. Eight truly is an inspired age. They understand accountability and the basic gospel principles that need to be understood to progress. It's been very special, having their dad as the bishop, and being able to interview them preparatory to baptism. I just love that little girl and her big, caring heart! On her birthday, she quietly asked me in the kitchen, "Do you think some children don't have families to celebrate their birthdays with? Are their some children who are all alone on their birthdays?" (she was teary). I am always learning from my children (as long as I can just sit down for a second and listen, which sometimes seems impossible-ugh!)

So, after vacation Adam was pretty much missing in action around here, trying to catch up with work and bishop stuff. We all sat down for dinner last week (which hadn't happened in awhile), and Joseph looked up at Adam and exclaimed, "Hi! What's your name?!" Thank you Joseph...I'll pay ya later! Classic.

For two weeks, our family was glued to the Olympics! We couldn't get enough, and the dark circles under our eyes proved it. I love everything about the Olympics! One night as we were enjoying one of Michael Phelps races (the relay one, where he gets so excited at the end, that you can see every ab muscle in his body), Kate stared at the screen in amazement, and said slowly, "Oh my goodness. Just look at those strong elbows." smile. So, after all the Olympic excitement in the air, my children have a new found frenzy toward learning volleyball (hence the last picture is Adam trying to teach them volleyball), and anything else where you can win a gold medal!

Hope you all are doing great! Have a great rest of the week!

9 comments:

Watermelanie said...

Life is peachy, isn't it? I have been thinking about you a lot this week, so seeing a new post was fantastic! you are a blogging wonder-woman!

Berly said...

I wish I knew how to can. One of these day, Warren's mom needs to teach me. Her grape juice is AWESOME! I hope you have a great weekend with the baptism.

Aimee said...

Fun post! Your kids look so much like you! :) Yep, we live in Chicago (the surburbs, actually, and my husband works downtown)... it's nice with the full four seasons, just wish the winters weren't so brutal. We've been married almost 3 years, and we're expecting our first baby - and are as thrilled as can be! What about you?? aimeesprik@gmail.com

Emma Jo said...

It is so much fun to see all these kids that look like my friends!! Your family is so darling it hurts! And now I think I need some peaches.

Melissa said...

You are amazing! Canning peaches and pears! I love all your little quotes from the kids, they crack me up!!

Happy Birthday Savannah! What a sweetie! Hope her day was great as well as her soon to be baptism!

Did I mention that I love love love that you have a blog so I know what is going on in your world!

April said...

Canning season is just about my favorite time of year. I eat peaches for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'm dying over Joseph's comment!!! Seriously true, though, right?

cherie said...

love your blog, alexis! and i just laughed heartily hearing those stories all over again. :)

Suzie Petunia said...

I also loved the Olympics! I even found myself going to a swimming pool because it had been so long... I wanted to see just how difficult this world record stuff was. :) ha ha... Phelps has GREAT abs! And elbows, too, I'm sure... though I didn't notice. :)

meg said...

You guys sure know how to have fun! We should be neighbors...we are GREAT at eating yummy fruit and watching the olympics! Congrats on another baptism!