Monday, September 29, 2008

Creation & Compassion

This past Saturday night, I (like many of you)completely feasted at the Relief Society General Broadcast meeting. The evening began at our Stake Center, where the sisters in our stake assembled over 900 hygiene kits to be sent off to Salt Lake. There was such a feeling of sisterhood, love, and service. I looked around and relished in the moment. There were smiling sisters, talking, laughing, making quilts, stuffing zip-lock bags...it was fabulous. We ate a delicious meal with homemade rolls. (Why do my entries always feature food?). Then, we enjoyed listening to the General Relief Society Presidency and President Uchtdorf. I love being reminded of my important membership in Relief Society. As Sister Beck quoted her sweet mother, "Relief Society will be your mother." I love our charge to look after the downtrodden (which we all fall into that category at one moment or another) and lift up the feeble knees. Also, I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's encouragement to find happiness as we use creativity and show compassion. I've never heard it quite like that, but it definitely gave me a new set of lenses to look through today. It certainly wet my whistle for General Conference this weekend!

I've made enough pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in the last three weeks to last me a lifetime (notice how I said me...I, of course, have eaten most of them!). I keep wanting to "celebrate Fall"...I just can't help it. I love everything about Fall.

Savannah had a little set back last week with her ears. She had an infection flame up in one of her ears, but is going through a round of antibiotics, (and a little bit of vicadin). She seems to be doing better and is without the pain she experienced last week...poor thing.

While getting Joseph ready for church yesterday (which, by the way, thank you for all your advice about sacrament reverence--it was very welcomed!), and was trying to coax him into wearing a cute little fall sweater vest. After his protests, I exclaimed, "Joseph, do you know who you look like?!" (I was thinking, "daddy!") He promptly responded, with a grin, "a missimary!" (missionary!). smile.

Hope your week is full of sunshine!

1 comment:

April said...

I know, I just can't wait for General Conference...

So sorry to hear about Savannah's ears and I absolutely have to have your pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe. Please! Email me if you get the chance.