Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Slice of Heaven









Do you ever have one of those "moments" where you look around and think, "How in the world did I get so lucky?" (or blessed). I was reading through my e-mails, your blogs, little comments, and I had just that thought...how did I get to have so many incredible, inspiring, funny, good people in my life?! Honestly. Not to get too mushy-gushy on you, but it made me truly grateful. I imagine Heaven to be a place where you are surrounded by all the people you love and care about. A happy thought. But, in the meantime, I'll just take a slice of Heaven...

And, speaking of heaven...Adam's parents and nephew, Tanner, came in town for the weekend. We had such a blast flying kites, going to the park, telling stories, eating (here I am again, talking about food), and laughing. They are always so wonderful...helping me get a handle on my laundry situation and to complete projects around the house. They are also so encouraging of Adam and I going on a date while they are here to babysit...we are very grateful recipients. We just love these people.

It's these happy times that break up the sick episodes going on around here. I have had enough airborne, albuterol, xopenex, lemon & honey, fluids, silver bowls by the beds, fluids, mucinex, anti-bacterial soap, ricola, fluids, oranges...yada yada to last me a lifetime. Let's hope this sunny weather we're having keeps the gunk away. I'm majorly crossing my fingers...

So, since Adam stayed home sick from work last week for a day (after my pleadings), he ended up helping Kate with her homework at the kitchen table. I was listening to their dialogue: "Wow Kate! You are just like Vincent Van Gogh! Your artwork is so...abstract." Adam continues, "But, if you ever get the urge to cut off your ear and send it to your boyfriend...DON'T!" Kate looks up at him with a blank stare, "Okay, Dad."

On Sunday, they were giving out full-sized Hershey bars as part of the Primary lesson at church. The teacher looked at Joseph and said, "Joseph, what is your favorite candy bar?" He replied, "A brown one." I smiled and thought, "Yea, me too buddy." We were playing with the firemen hats today (and there I am in all my unshowered glory); however, Joseph insisted that they were "cowboy hats." Well...I am from Texas. It works.

Lastly, Happy St. Patrick's Day! We gave a toast tonight at dinnertime with our green milk, "To St. Patrick...whoever that is!"

Love you each one. Thinking of you all...and heaven.

(Hi Karen! Love you and your pink hair!)

6 comments:

Andrea said...

It is so nice when family visits. It is extra nice because they want to babysit too! woo-hoo
It is so frustrating when everyone gets sick...they just seem to share... yuck! Sorry!
Okay- my favorite picture is with the girls and their hair in curlers! It brings back memories when my mom used to put my hair in those before I went to sleep.
Maybe we can meet up sometime for a session at the temple.... I know with the little one that may be tough but when she gets older. We just live so close we do need to see each other!

The Leonard Four said...

i loved this post. i'm glad that i got to be a part of your little slice of heaven.

i hope that your sweet fam is officially ditching the "sickies" and is starting to enjoy spring!

lex...you make me smile every time i read your posts. i can almost "hear" you telling me in person! xo...

Berly said...

We all have neon green nails over here. Yay for green things. I need to take my fingernail polish off because everytime I look at my fingers - it freaks me out, but my girls love it!!

I do love those times when you wish time would stop just for a moment. I wish I could bottle all those up.

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

I well remember the times when Papa and Dorothy would come and I would have my parents, my husband,and my children together. It truly was a slice of heaven. I just didn't think I could hold my heart in my body! So glad to see you enjoy the same feelings.

KAREN! said...

awww YAY! i got a shout out! hi alexis and your wonderful family! i love looking at all your pictures and hearing all the funny things that happen. especially adam and his painting comment! love yall and love reading all about you-- tell everyone i said hello and if yall ever feel like visiting Colonial Williamsburg it would be AWESOME! xoxo

cherie said...

ah, you make me smile and giggle. love your sweet post. :)