Thursday, September 17, 2009

Craving Beauty















Meet Victoria, my new friend. I have driven by her house a hundred times, but it wasn't until last week that I finally noticed her garden. It took me back by surprise, the roses, the freesia, the daisies...I just couldn't believe my eyes! After turning around to admire the beauty again (and again and again), I decided to just go up to the door and tell the person so. Victoria answered her door and after me explaining that I just LOVED her roses (and also explaining that I wasn't a complete weirdo...maybe just a little one), she proceeded to explain and teach to me, in broken english, about each rose, its name, and how to care for it (by the way, did you know that if you plant a banana peel, all cut up, in the ground by the roses' roots it will be more fragrant?). I came back a couple days later with a notebook to take scrupulous notes. She's coming over in January to help me plant my roses. I can hardly wait! I felt so happy and uplifted. Why? I think our spirits crave beauty...and not the beauty offered at the MAK counter (although they have really great lipstick). This kind of beauty is created by God...the master creator. After admiring a pink sunset, a starry night, falling rain, sparkly eyes, a bright smile, a soft touch, a velvety rose we are uplifted and happy...the kind that lasts.


Anyways, let me step down from my soap box. I solved my no-window-in-the-laundryroom dilemna. I've been doing my laundry...outside. My dryer is busted, so my boys and I configured a new way (after spending time at the laundromat last week). I love my new way.


School is in session, AND I pulled them out to go to Disneyland with Adam's brother Peter and family. All had a great time. I didn't feel any guilt until yesterday Annie told me how lousy she did on her Science test "because we were gone when she announced it". Ah well.


Gotta run and wake everyone up for school. Now go and have yourself one beautiful day!!

One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical decisive hour. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year. He only is right who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded by worry, fret, and anxiety. Finish every day, and be done with it. You have done what you could.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

(Did you notice, A? Emerson.)

4 comments:

Buzz said...

Alexis... you are the best at seeking after things that are virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy.

Always trying to better yourself, never satisfied even though you are already an amazing person.

Adam is one lucky man and we are lucky to have you as a friend.

Next time you talk to your neighbor, tell her that her garden is chevere. Pronounced [CHEH veh reh] accent on the first syllable and make sure you roll that r.

~Yo Yo Buzz

Amy Lynn said...

I love that you noticed beauty and took the time to stop and tell somebody how much you appreciated the beauty they have created. I love that you have become friends and have a "rose" date in January. I love that I just explained this moment to my husband and he asked if burying the banana with the roses makes them smell like bananas? I love who you are and the beauty YOU spread all around you. Thank you for the moment of beauty you shared with me tonight!

Emma Jo said...

Beautiful. I love the quote and the happiness. You were known for that kind of thing in high school, you know that? You have always been tremendous at spreading the sunshine.

Rumsey's said...

I want Victoria's garden!!!

We always had a clothesline hanging up in our backyard when I was growing up. It's awesome because you 1. save money 2. save the environment and 3. can actually do it because you don't have to deal with harsh weather, tree sap, or weird bugs :)

I am excited for you to plant your new Victoria's garden. I am still struggling to keep small indoor plants alive.