Friday, September 25, 2009

Extraordinary in the Ordinary


"That's it!! No more craziness. No more late, late nights. I am producing a schedule that I will adhere to every day of my life. I am taking control!"
These were my thoughts about a week ago. I'll be honest, when everyone was getting their gifts in heaven, I did not get into the Will-Be-Organized line. Instead, I was probably off in some corner talking and laughing. dang!
So, here I am, always trying to make some sort of order out of chaos. I wrote the new schedule in my journal. Schedules stress me out. So, three days into it, I sat on my bed in tears, trying to explain my situation to my husband (while he was holding his iphone/planner in his hand, mind you. He was a good one and stood in the will-be-organized line).
"I feel like I'm in a box and I'm about to explode! I want to do something crazy like...like...paint a wall purple!"
"Purple?"
"Or maybe hang some lime-green beads in a doorway!"
"Hmm."
"Alright, I'll just go to bed."
Life can be very ordinary...same, same, same. But, while trying to get a little bit of order, I can find the extraordinary--like Joseph learning how to ride a bike this week! Extraordinary! Or getting candy bars, all around, at Target for 100% Spelling Tests. Extraordinary! Or writing in my journal everyday this week (thank you very much). Majorly extraordinary!!!
Hope you can find some extraordinary in the ordinary...it's just so much more delightful!

11 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

you know whatt's extraordinary? YOU!!! :)

you don't have to be oragized to be a great mom, lexie! you're AWESOME!!! :)

Unknown said...

You didn't need to stand in the orangized line, you stood in the caring, loving, giving, unstopable lines. And so you didn't get to that one, its ok!! Cause you got more in your corner!!

Emma Jo said...

Yeah, I'm with them...you weren't standing in line, you were walking around laughing and hugging people and making sure that they got all that they wanted. You really are extraordinary and I am glad that I know you!!

Melissa said...

What else is there to say! Your are amazing, fantastic and extraordinary! I am lucky to be your friend!
Yeah Joseph and 100% on spelling test! Love you!

Heather and Aaron said...

You guys are truly a wonderful family, and examples to us of what a family SHOULD be like! Keep up at that organization, it'll come! Oh, and please pass along to Adam again a thank you for writing those letters for Aaron! :-)

Amy Lynn said...

You captured it perfectly...how "ordinary" daily life can be. And then I sit down to blog about something that didn't seem that exciting and I suddenly realize how extraordinary all these ordinary moments can be! Thank, thank, thank you for helping me to remember that! I needed it today.

And by the way...purple walls and green beads are the PERFECT way to liven up the ordinary. I fully support bright colors!

Abby said...

Oh, the lines I should have been standing in! (I'm pretty sure I got to the boob table after they had run out, by the way.) I am glad we all have something different to bring to the world--it's why I read blogs! You have been an example to me for a lot of years--I feel lucky to still get a bit of you here. Thanks for reminding me to find something extaordinary this week--somthing positive. It comes a little too easily to find the negative sometimes.

TM CLAN said...

Oh, I really liked this post. And now I know why I love you so much...you weren't in the Will-Be-Organized line next to me. You were having fun and inspiring others just like you are doing in this world. Hugs.

cherie said...

i agree! you are one extraordinary girl! love you!!

Rumsey's said...

You're wonder woman Alexis.

I am so excited to see you all in a week! Yay :)

Congrats on the bike riding Joseph!!! Woohoo!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

Excuse me....I DO think you're organized. You get the most important things done...tending husband, children, siblings, friends, and yes, listening to your mom when she's overwhelmed. Your home is lovely and a joy to be in. Everyone feels loved. Scrap the laundry!:) It will ALWAYS be there!