Tuesday, May 19, 2009

the fruitful life






To my sweet babies,

Many years from now, when you are grown and have a family and home of your own, I just want you to remember how your home smelled, looked, and felt when you were a child. We (your Daddy and I) have spent a lot of thought and action on creating a place you'll remember with fondness. As I have told you many times, the second you walk into this home of ours (as crazy as it often is), I want you to feel happy, safe, peaceful, and loved.

As you know, my dear friend April (Sister Price to you) has created such a home for her family. It's decorated with exquisite quilts she has made with incredible talent and creativity. I have also talked with you about choosing your friends wisely...and so I have.

She made this quilt (I have named, "the fruitful life") to benefit the Cancer Center at her husband's hospital. Your Daddy secretly bought this for me for Mother's Day (and our Anniversary, my birthday, the 4th of July, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day...) because he knew how much I would love it.

I have called it "The fruitful life" because that is what I want for each of you. We are trying to create a soil rich with everything you need to grow bright, beautiful, and happy. Live each day with that in mind...and you will have a life of purpose. And most importantly, remember, your tree will flourish and bear the sweetest fruit as you keep under the bright Sun...Jesus Christ. He is the source of everything good and true and joyful.

I love you, each one.

Love,
Your mama

8 comments:

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

BRAVO ALEXIS!
You have a gift for seeing the beauty and meaning in your life! The quilt is gorgeous and what a wonderful symbol for your family's "mission": The Fruitful Life. Thanks for the joy your blog brings to us. Love, Mom

April said...

Oh, I am crying over here. It looks so lovely hanging on your wall. Love you!

MelanieJ said...

So beautiful. I love you so much. Thanks for the sealing talk earlier--you are a thinker and I love that you gave me something other than the Little Einsteins theme song to mull over in my mind!

Tara Brooks said...

I'm not sure which is more beautiful, the quilt or your comments to your children.
You may not mean to, but you are always encouraging me (through your posts) to be a better mom!
thank you!

Andrea Sheets said...

The quilt is so beautiful. I'm so impressed that Adam surprised you - especially with the distance. April is so talented and so are you for creating such a beautiful home!

TM CLAN said...

I love quilts, and I love your new quilt, "the fruitful life". It stands for everything you are: beautiful, loving, compassionate, giving, and grounded. You are also good and truthful and joyful. Thank you for your inspiring words. Love you!!

Amy Lynn said...

I'm printing this brilliant blog out and posting it on my refrigerator and vowing to be just like Alexis when I grow up. What a beautiful statement on home and family. Wouldn't it be a great world if every set of parents felt just like you do?

cherie said...

oh alexis!!! you lucky, lucky girl. love that quilt so much! and once again, you are the most amazing mom ever