Sunday, May 24, 2009

Once Upon a Time...part 4




{To follow up after my Fruitful life post, the one where I bore my heart to my children on cyber-space, mind you...I started reading it to my 6 yr. old. After getting through the first paragraph, she quickly responded, "Aw, mom, that's so nice. Thanks!" Then she promptly scooted me over and started playing on Webkinz. I had to smile. She'll understand someday. But for now, Webkinz is way more appealing than finding that fruitful life!}

Now back to our program...

When I received that late phone call from Adam, I was giddy and nervous...all at the same time. It was nice to finally put a voice to all those letters; however, he happened to be sick at the time. (In fact, he usually still gets sick over holidays-must be his body's way of finally letting down). His voice sounded especially low and I commented on it. He made some charming remark about now having an attractively low voice. I laughed. I remember I felt good when I hung up the phone and that's all I remember about that first phone conversation.

It was now almost December and I had only about three weeks before the Christmas break. Finals were now setting it and it was business as usual. Then, I received a somewhat unexpected, random phone call from my Dad. Unexpected because usually it was always my mom who called to check up on me...well, actually, I usually was the one who called...still pretty often (and probably still pretty expensive). He told me he had been thinking about me and thought I should consider transferring to BYU, and maybe even for the next semester. "BYU would probably be a better fit for you." My roommate, Missy, was so homesick that she was transferring to Texas A&M for the next semester. Her leaving left me to consider something I hadn't before. He told me to just "consider" it. And, in my heart of hearts, I kept thinking that he was there. Looking back, I can't believe how inspired my Dad really was.

So, all in a rather quick flurry of events, I agreed to go to BYU, BYU accepted me for winter semester, I registered for classes...and I called Adam to let him know. My sneaky plan was to call and ask if he could help me find housing, since he was the only upper-classman I knew there...or something like that. He wasn't home when I called, so I left a message with his other roommate, Darryl, to tell him that "Alexis is transferring to BYU for the winter and could you please look around for some housing for her?" (maybe near you?!)

That weekend, I headed to Kansas City with a friend to see Phantom of the Opera, without receiving a call back from Adam quite yet. On Sunday, I called Missy to tell her I was on my way home. As we were ending our conversation, she said, "Oh...Adam called you! He said he was excited about you coming to BYU and that he would look for some housing for you!" yipes.

December 15th, I finished up Fall semester at Stephens College, said some teary good-byes to all my dear friends there and packed up for BYU!

The person I had been dating in Houston was actually leaving with his family for Christmas break, a few days after I arrived home. It was actually a good thing. Gave me some time to clear my head and decide what I really wanted to have happen here. So, during Christmas break, I actually sent Adam our family's Christmas card (complete with picture--geez, I was so daring...or crazy is more like it). He called New Year's Day to wish me a Happy New Year's and to see if I needed a ride from the airport (he's so thoughtful). His call did not come at a very good time. My mom was actually in the middle of a lecture. When she answered, her voice was not in her normal chipper tone...to say the least. He must have asked for me and I remember her telling "the person" that I was not available at the moment. "May I ask who is calling?" "Oh, Adam. (she started smiling...her voice instantly changed. She had already heard about him) Hi Adam! I'll have her call you right back."

And I did. I nailed down a difficult-to-normally-get dorm room (major blessing) and was arriving a few days before the semester began. He told me that he had to come a few days early as well, to teach his P.E. class at the elementary school. We agreed to meet at the airport and he would help me and my mom load up my boxes to take back to my new dorm room. I was excited and nervous...understandably.

It was a bright, crisp, Utah day. He would be driving a silver car and we would meet outside by baggage claim. I was wearing navy slacks, a white turtleneck, and a reddish blazer-ish thing. I spotted his car pulling up and saw him getting out. Ooo-lala. He wore jeans and a dark greyish-blue winter coat...and a bright smile. "Hi Adam! It's great to see you again. Thanks so much for helping us!"

I wasn't nervous anymore.

to be continued...

10 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Seriously...this is a total miracle. Both of you were in such random places at the right time and doing the right things...this was SO meant to be. This is a real fairy tale...keep writing!

The Leonard Four said...

i have to agree with amy...what a real life fairy tail! i love reading every word.

um. can we briefly discuss my hair in that pic. wow. i'm not sure why none of you told me to chop off that insanly long mane! YIKES! we look like a couple of babies in that pic!

Andrea said...

You tell your story so well!!!! I love reading it.

You got that, hard to get dorm room, because of a heartsick girl who couldn't be without her Georgia boyfriend. I don't think I know another person who left the dorms mid year! What a miracle!

I remember you moved in and we thought....wow, she is dating an older man and she just got here! Fun times!

Anonymous said...

wow such an amazing story so far! such a miracle everything has fallen into perfect place so far! can't wait to read the next chapter!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

This is SO fun remembering all of these wonderful times. My heart is so full, thinking of how grateful I am that the Lord brought you two together even though at the time I would appreciated it to be about two years later. Just wasn't ready to give you up yet! Oh well! [Adam will understand when Annie is 18 :)] Love, Mom

meg said...

Somehow I lost you blog but I'm so glad to find it again! And what an post - loved it! It's such a great story! Thanks for sharing.

ps. Jill (McVey) and I are activity day leaders together! Fun, huh?

Abby said...

I have been catching up and you've left me hanging now! Continue, please! By the way, funny bc I was back in TX getting little bits of what you were up to--I had no idea all these fun details, etc!

Valerie said...

I have just read all 4 parts and am loving it. I don't think I've ever heard the story of how you met and fell in love. Your kids will love reading this one day. I can't wait for part 5 :)

oh and in case you don't have my blog addy here it is
valholt98@hotmail.com

Valerie said...

It's late and I'm tired. I just left you my email instead of my blog
www.holtlife.blogspot.com

The Rodriguez Crew said...

these darn entries get my heart racing every time. I love reading these! I even know about some of these early parts, and I'm still hanging on to every word. :) I can't wait to read more, and I'm thinking you're awfully calm, cool, and collected thoughout this little lovestory!

Keep it coming, and I loved seeing the pic of you and jodi!