Sunday, May 17, 2009

Once Upon a Time...part 3

{Just fyi...I feel a little redonkulus (Savannah's latest favorite and often-used word for ridiculus...from a movie, I think) sharing all of these details of our story. I hope you don't mind them all. It's for posterity...}

Okay, back to the story...

As I read the note on the walk home from the Institute building, I couldn't stop smiling. Usually when I returned home from church, the campus was still pretty quiet; however, it was mostly because everyone was still at lunch. Being who I am, I was dying to share this note with someone...anyone. My sweet mother usually was the first recipient of any news...the good, the bad, and the ugly (bless her). So, I called her. "Hey Mom!" "HI! How was church?!" I "It was great. Hey, do you remember that guy that I met last week at church, knows Rob Wirthlin, goes to BYU, etc?" "yes." (voice slinding up) "Well, he wrote me a note." hmmmm.

Of course I was going to respond and I chose my cutest stationary to respond with(it had hearts and blue Texas' on the front). I found myself writing a rather lengthy bio to him. Again, everything just flowed onto the paper. I told him about why I chose Stephens, about my family, about what I was interested studying, etc. (I'm sorry. I have all our letters together in a binder...except for this one. it's missing).

Stephens has a somewhat small campus, so every letter I sent him was dropped off in the same mailbox in the student center (no e-mail back then). By the end of the semester, I knew when the mail was picked up from the student center and I knew how long mail took to get to him...3 days.

He responded immediately to my letter. I always picked my mail up P.O Box 2464before going to lunch. This sounds terrible, but I would usually read his letter right then and there (and he would even sometimes decorate the fronts of the envelopes. He's very creative, that Adam) and then take it to lunch and read it to my entire table of friends (he always grimaces when he hears that part...and I don't blame him). So, imagine about 8 girls sitting around this great, big round table, eating in silence, listening ever so carefully to me reading his letter aloud, Oooing and ahhing at all the right moments (those girls were the ultimate...love you Jodi & Paige) and asking me questions at the end. They would ask me to re-read parts and would dissect it (as only girls can do). sweet memories.

So, the semester marched on. My days were filled with my small-sized classes, feminist professors, Brueger's bagels, late late nights talking and laughing and eating Papa John's pizza (which was only $4/large. those were the days) with all my newfound friends in Searcy Hall, studying for Humanities (which is still my favorite class I ever took in college. Our professor would actually play the pieces on the grand piano in our classroom, amazing), and secretly looking forward to Adam's next letter.

Now, Josh went to see Adam in October. He would always tell me all about Adam and how he thought so much of him. I told Josh that I was actually still in a relationship with someone back in Texas, so I couldn't (or shouldn't) be entering into anything with Adam (our letters were the friendly type. encouraging. upbeat). He understood and said that Adam was in a relationship with a girl back in Utah. Oh. Okay. I thought, "We're just getting to know eachother. A new friend. I like making new friends." Our letters went back and forth. We sent pictures of ourselves and our families, our favorite quotes, gorgeous red & orange fall leaves from Columbia, etc.

After returning home from the Thanksgiving holidays, I was feeling a little gutsy that Sunday night and decided to just give him a call. What?!! The girl doesn't normally do this. I know. But I did it anyway and I was nervous. His roommate (later would know as Todd)answered the phone, "Hello?" "Hi, is Adam there?" "No, He's actually not back yet. Can I take a message?" ummm. "Yes, could you just tell him that Alexis Rumsey called?" "Sure." "Thanks, bye."

He called me later that night.

to be continued...

6 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

yippeeeee....so glad for another installment! i'm loving every minute of this flashback! you should not feel the least bit ridonkulus!!!

this was a precious love story back then and it's a precious love story now!!! :) loved listening to adam's letters and loved humanities with mr. sealy! ahhh...those were the days, right!?!?

miss and love you bunches, friend! waiting patiently for part 4! xo...

The Leonard Four said...

oh and thanks for the compliment...but i think that you're the one that looks FABULOUS!!! :)

The Rodriguez Crew said...

my monday romance novel ... ahhh, heavenly! seriously, this is SO fun to read. Gosh, I remember the pure innocence of those letters back then & oohing and ahhing over every dissected sentence!! It kind of makes me wish we DIDN'T have email now (I'm sure I'd get over that real quick)?!

keep it coming, we are all enjoying it so much!

and THANK YOU SWEET ALEXIS for the huge boost of confidence by saying that I always look put together (I REALLY don't!). You made me laugh so hard how you get "crazy" and add the hoop earrings - believe me, i'm lucky to throw on earrings 1 day a week lately! I live in my darn workout clothes (oh and I don't even work out)!! Nice. :)

Wouldn't it be so fun if Jodi & I (and families) could make a joint trip to Cali?? Can you imagine how much we would laugh?! We can dream! :)

holding on for part IV!

Amy Lynn said...

This is torture! I love this story but I hate the suspenseful endings. What a great story! I LOVE that you are sharing it. Our anniversary is coming up in July...can I steal your idea? There is something so fun about reliving all the suspense and excitement of a new relationship...especially when you are on the other side of it and know that it has a happy ending!

Andrea said...

I love that you are sharing it too! Your kids are going to love reading this! It is so fun to picture that group of girls at the lunch table waiting to hear every detail! I'm one of those girls now....just on the computer!

Anonymous said...

hi there! i happened upon your blog through paige's. i LOVE reading your story! so romantic! part of me wishes that there wasn't email now. There is just something so great about receiving the letter in the mail in someone's handwriting! can't wait for the next chapter!