Thursday, May 7, 2009

Once Upon a Time, part 2.


Well, hellllooo Adam.

I remember my questions for him coming naturally...and I don't actually remember exactly how they came out; however, I recall him being engaging and delightful (of course). Now, this was a supposed brief conversation in the foyer of the institute, but I got some pretty good information out of this short exchange.

"Are you a student at the Univ. of Missouri?"
"No, actually I attend BYU, but was working in St. Louis this summer selling pest control." (Ah! Hence the group of tanned, well-groomed young men here today!).
"Why are ya'll (of course I had to put on a little Texan charm) here in Columbia today?"
"Well, one of the guys who sold pest control with us this summer, Josh, just joined the church. He is actually from Columbia. This is his home ward. This was his first time to speak in sacrament meeting, so we decided to come and here him speak. (St. Louis is 2 hours from Columbia) We will be driving back to Utah this week to start up school."
"What are you studying at BYU?" (You handsome thing you)
"Well, I'm studying Finance, but want to go into Hospital Administration."
"Oh that's funny. My Dad is a pilot right now, but is going back to school to get his master's in healthcare administration." (of course, I'm trying to pull out any similarities I can)
"Wow! I went to the Air Force Academy to become a pilot. They were cutting down the pilot slots while I was there, and probably wouldn't get a chance to fly. I decided to transfer to BYU after my mission and go into hospital administration instead."
"The Air Force Academy...do you know Rob Wirthlin?" (Now, I don't even know Rob Wirthlin. Never talked with him in my life. But, his little sister, Melissa, was a very good friend of mine. He was her older, older brother who I knew attended the USAFA. I used to see his picture on the church bulletin board. As stated before, I was trying to drag on this conversation for as long as I possibly could without getting caught!)
"Rob Wirthlin! Yeah! He was the year ahead of me (only one year? How old are you?) He used to come home with me on holidays."
"What a small world!" (It was at this moment that one of his tanned little buddies came over and nudged him that they were leaving.)
He actually seemed like he wanted to stay and finish our conversation. But, I wasn't going to just stand there and wave goodbye (please, I have too much pride). So, I said, "Well, it looks like you guys are headed out! I guess I'll see you later! Nice to meet you!"

And off I headed back down Broadway with a little skip in my step. It was a beautiful, sunny day. How cool was that?! Fun! I thought I would never, ever see that guy again; however, it sure was tingley (is that a word?) to talk with him.

I called my mom when I got back to my dorm room (which she reminded me that I called home--when it wasn't cheap--probably a couple times an hour starting off. I think she may have even changed her phone number).
"Hey mom! Guess what?! I met this really nice guy at church who knows Rob Wirthlin, is studying hospital administration like Dad, and is going to BYU." I don't remember telling her anything more. I didn't need to expound. I wasn't going to see him again, right?!

That week, I went on my merry way, completely engrossed with new classes, new friends, new life in college, etc. The following week, I attended church just like I had the previous week. I honestly didn't think another thought about he-who-must-not-be-named. I was still trying to get acquainted with everyone. Then, after the meeting, Josh (the cute blonde guy that spoke last week and sold pest control) approached me with a big smile on his face.

"Hi Alexis!" (Wow! How in the world can he remember my name?!)
"I have a note here for you from Adam!"
"Oh! Who's Adam?" (I honestly couldn't remember his name. Maybe I was just in this dream-like fog when he told me his name).
"He's the guy you were talking to after church last week!"
Smile.
"Thank you!"

At that moment, I would have never guessed in a million years what would all come from that little note jotted on a sheet of yellow, legal-pad paper. (It's now in our love-archive. It's so worn and tattered from being read over and over and over again) :

Alexis,
You probably don't remember me, but I was visiting Josh last week & had a chance to talk to you briefly after church (the goofy looking guy in the red tie). Anyhow, I'm driving back to school and off to the wild and fun college life (or as wild and fun as it gets at BYU).
I never got the chance to find out about you, why you made the trek from TX. to MO., what you're studying, etc...I know about your family (Dad-pilot, and checking out Healthcare Administration, know Rob Wirthlin), but want to know about you. Call me crazy. So if you want to here's my address in Provo if you're ever visiting or would like to write.
Adam Y. Thunell
485 S. State #205
Provo, UT 84604
(801) 375-8336
It was great meeting you! Good luck with your schooling and college life. It is fun, so work hard and enjoy it. Hope to hear from you.
Sincerely,
Adam Y. Thunell
(He signed his signature, so I couldn't exactly tell what his last name was. I actually thought is was 'Thornell').

To be cont...

9 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

oh how i love this "love archive". can't wait...CAN'T WAIT for part 3!!! xo...

MelanieJ said...

ooh, ooh. i am loving this. i can totally hear you speaking, like we were sitting on the leather couches in the family room after all the kids are in bed. should we stay up late talking? because adam is already on the floor sleeping... :)

Amy Lynn said...

I am thoroughly enjoying every moment of this love story! I love good stories. And I didn't know anything about where you met your husband, etc. This really is an amazing story...all the details that had to perfectly align for you to meet is pretty astounding! Waiting for part 3...

cherie said...

i seriously love your long-distance letter romance! that's what we need more of these days. more hand written letters...less texting! ;)

The Rodriguez Crew said...

alexis i am seriously sad when I see "to be cont."! the alex & adam romance novel is a juicy one!! i love all of the details, and hang onto every word. I totally laughed out loud at "you handsome thing you," b/c I could hear you saying it and giggling with that infectious laugh!

I think I know where this is going... you totally transferred to BYU for Adam Thornell????? :)

KAREN! said...

i LOve this-- i've never heard the story and it's fantastic! we've got to get the rest of the rumsey kids to relate their "love stories!!" :) thanks alexis, for sharing this!!

Suzanne said...

I love your story! And I've already heard it several times from being your roommate. It's the best. I'm excited that you are going to get to BYU soon -- that's the part I got to witness a bit of.

I just love it that Adam picked you out -- of course he's not the only guy to single you out, just the one that got lucky enough to snag you! You guys are the greatest.

Rumsey's said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHh so cute!

Polynesian Cultural Center said...

I'm reading your love story to Dad while he is lying in bed. So fun to read! So THANKFUL for that letter that was written!
Mom