Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother




Before I became a mother, I had no idea what was in-store.

How would I have known how much I would love to smell my baby or even my sweaty kids when they would fall asleep in my arms? or how I would love playing double dutch with my girls with two mismatched jump ropes that would keep hitting me in the cheek? How would I have known how much I would love drawing colorful chalk rainbows and rocketships with my kids on the patio--and then admiring them all week from my kitchen window? Or how many loads of laundry I would do? I would have never known how many times I would read The Very Hungry Caterpillar (complete with sound effects) and love every minute of it. I would have never known the excitement and thrill I would feel when my child learned how to ride their bike, perform their part in the school play, become potty-trained, learned how to cross the monkey bars or how to write their name. How would I have known that I am narcoleptic? I would have never known the sadness and concern I would feel when they would cry and say they didn't have any friends, or when they would fall off their bikes, or when they were sick in bed. I would have never known the simple joy of seeing a little dollie in some corner of the house with a blanket tucked carefully around it, or a voice calling out "MOM!" the second they walked through the door. I would never have known how many jumping-jacks I would do (without losing my uterus).

When I was about to have my second child, I talked with my mother-in-law. I voiced my nervousness, "How can I love this second baby as much as I already love Annie?" She wisely counselled, "Alexis, you're a mother. You're heart doesn't divide...it multiplies." And, so my heart has multiplied. Six times to be exact. Many times I feel it's so big it will just burst. I love being a woman. I love being a mother. I love that no one else can do for my children what I can do for them. That is a gift from Heavenly Father.

I have always wanted to be a mother...and I knew I would love it. I was trained, taught, and loved by the best.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you brilliant, loving, and wonderful mothers!

9 comments:

The Leonard Four said...

oh lex...you made me cry. i can't think of anything more perfect than being a mommy! i hope you enjoyed your day to honor that! love you, friend...

MelanieJ said...

This is one of the reasons I love you! You ARE a joyful mother of children. And such an incredible example. I love you so much! And we are both loving your comments on our "epic".

The Rodriguez Crew said...

such beautiful words you always write alexis, and YOU are such a beautiful mommy! that first picture is absolutely fantastic by the way. i don't know how you do it with 6, but I do know that they are some very lucky kiddos to have you for their mother. You make me so excited for the road ahead with a house full of chaos!! :)

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, so beautifully said! I love every day the miracles that unfold. I could have never guessed what was in store...the good or the bad...but I wouldn't miss this for the world. And when all is said and done, it just goes too fast! Thank you for reminding me to get off the computer and outside with the sidewalk chalk! :>)

Berly said...

Loved it Alexis - you put my thoughts into words. I love being a mother with all its craziness. It is definately a gift from our Heavenly Father and I feel very blessed. Thanks again.

Tara Brooks said...

That was beautiful!
You've always been a great example to me of a good mother. I need to remember more often to find the joy in it before it passes me by.
Thanks for the reminder.
Love you and Happy Mother's Day!

cherie said...

you are truly one of the greatest mothers i know. hope your day was wonderful. love you!

TM CLAN said...

Way to claim the goddess within, Alexis. You are an inspiration and a faithful doer. Thank you for sharing your heart. You are part of a legacy of wonderful mothers. Your children are so blessed! May you feel honored always.

Andrea said...

I really enjoyed this post!

Going back to the romance story. I love reliving it with you. I love the letter adam wrote and I think it is so good that your kids can read it now! So much fun!